Major Code: 156
Students selecting the Business Office option will be given training in word processing, transcription, spreadsheet applications, and office procedures which are essential in providing the administrative support in today’s office environment.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, upon completion of the Business Office option, graduates will be able to:
- Create business documents using word processing software.
- Produce mailable documents from dictated materials.
- Create business documents using spreadsheet and database software.
- Integrate electronic office/business skills with decision-making skills.
- Compose various types of business correspondence applying appropriate writing techniques, accurate spelling, correct punctuation, and proper grammar.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of records management principles and filing procedures in maintaining business documents.
Occupations available for students completing program requirements include the following: general office clerk, office support clerk, transcriptionist, word processor, file clerk, receptionist, and information clerk.
Graduates may expect to obtain entry-level employment in insurance firms, banks, law offices, medical offices, and industrial offices.
Students completing the competencies in the following courses should be prepared to pursue Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification in the following area:
- Microsoft Word I - Microsoft Certified Application Specialist: Microsoft Office Word.
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification is possible in this program area. Employment possibilities are much higher with certification in specific software applications.
CIP Code: 520401