Transfer to Franciscan University of Steubenville
Major Code: 392
Note: This is a transfer agreement through which a student completes an Associate degree at WVNCC and finishes a Bachelor’s degree at another institution. Because of individual student factors, part-time or full-time status, need for developmental education coursework, scheduling and availability of courses, or other factors, all students may not be able to complete this degree in two (Associate’s) or four (Bachelor’s) years. It does not imply a guarantee that a student will be able to complete all requirements in four years.
Students completing this option will receive an Associate of Arts degree from West Virginia Northern. Upon being accepted to, and successfully completing the additonal required credit hours at Franciscan University of Steubenville, they will receive a Bachelor Degree in Social Work (B.S.W.). Some of the 60 credit hours from WVNCC will transfer as equivalent courses, with the rest transferring as general electives.
In addition to the WVNCC courses, applicants for admission to FUS need to have an overall grade point average of 2.0 and meet other program admissions requirements of Franciscan University to be eligible under this program. Students must also make separate application to the Department of Social Work and fulfill other program admissions requirements.*
In addition to General Education Outcomes, students successfully completing and receiving and A.A. degree under the articulation agreement with Franciscan University’s School of Social Work should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history of the social work profession and the evolution of its various delivery systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic concepts, theories, and strategies used in social work.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major theories of psychology and human development.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the issues related to the ethical standards of the social work profession.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how social, cultural, family, and individual factors influence needs and affect the delivery of social services.
- Demonstrate adequate knowledge and skills related to general education curriculum requirements for the Associate in Arts degree.
- Utilize critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate a readiness to enter a bachelor degree program with appropriate attendance, initiative, organization, and interest in the profession.
To be considered for acceptance into the Social Work program at FUS, the student must, at the end of their sophomore year, apply for formal admission into the Social Work program in addition to applying for general admission to FUS. The prospective student must:
- Complete the application for admission to the Social Work program at FUS.
- Submit a resume.
- Submit two letters of reference.
- Complete a personal interview with a program faculty member.
- Fulfill any additional admissions requirements of FUS.
*Although a cumulative GPA of 2.0 meets requirements for graduation at WVNCC, students who do not meet the GPA (or other special) requirements at the transfer institution for admission to this baccalaureate program may not be admitted to the program until they are able to meet those requirements. Students should consult with an advisor at the transfer institution early in their program to check on this, and other requirements for admission to the baccalaureate program.
Important information: If you have ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor for any reason, State or National credentialing boards, licensing board and agencies, which require criminal background checks on potential employees and students, may deny you employment or placement in certain settings, even if you have completed all academic requirements. If you have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, please contact the appropriate Program Director or Division Chair at WVNCC or FUS.
CIP Code: 240101