Feb 26, 2024
Northern recognizes training from approved U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Apprenticeship Training (BAT) programs towards an associate degree. Required courses of study for eligible programs are determined by agreements between the College and the apprenticeship program. Individuals must be enrolled in or have completed the approved apprenticeship program in order to be eligible to enroll in this program.
Those BAT apprenticeship programs which are currently available for the occupational development program are:
- Building and Construction Trades with the Upper Ohio Valley Building and Construction Trades Council AFL-CIO. Major Code: 403
- Child Development Specialist with Northern Panhandle Apprenticeship Council. Major Code: 404
- Firefighters with Wheeling Fire Department Joint Apprenticeship Committee. Major Code: 401
- Plumbers and Steamfitters with Wheeling Plumbers and Steamfitters Joint Apprenticeship Committee. Major Code: 402
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Effectively use both written and verbal communication skills in the workplace.
- Demonstrate knowledge of interpersonal skills and their application in the workplace.
- Apply principles of mathematics and science to contemporary issues in society and in the workplace.
- Demonstrate an understanding of technical skills required in the specific occupational area through the successful completion of an approved apprenticeship training program.
There are three components to the program:
- General education courses are offered by the College.
- Technical specialty courses, including classroom instruction required by the specific apprenticeship program, which may be supplemented by college courses in some cases.
- On-the-job training is part of the apprenticeship program and is awarded credit under agreements negotiated by the partners.
Specific agreements, which list course requirements for each component are available from the College Counselors or the Vice President of Economic and Workforce Development.
IMPORTANT GRADUATION INFORMATION: ORNT 090 is a graduation requirement. See your advisor to determine if you have met this requirement.
CIP Code: 309999
General Education Core Requirements