Major Code: 244
The mission of the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) program in Advanced Manufacturing is to prepare individuals to be electrical and mechanical maintenance technicians for the highly technological, integrated and automated manufacturing facilities of the modern workplace, and into the 21st century. The program is designed to integrate mechanical, electrical, process and control skills as employers are demanding technicians who are interdiscplinary. Students learn to install, replace, troubleshoot and repair, and automate equipment used in manufacturing facilities.
All technical courses have an intensive hands-on lab component as students learn skills in electrical systems, motor control, hydraulics and pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, instrumentation, workplace safety, and problem solving and teamwork.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the basic skills needed to safely perform work as a field technician in a commercial and/or industrial environment.
- Apply principles of hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, and programmable logic controller systems in a commercial and/or industrial environment.
- Demonstrate ability to read and analyze prints, schematic diagrams, circuit diagrams and ladder diagrams, technical manuals, and to implement field procedures.
- Demonstrate general education skills relevant to the program.
Job opportunities for graduates of the program are high as manufacturing facilities are faced with large numbers of baby boomers retiring and the need for highly skilled workers to maintain and operate the automated equipment of the modern manufacturing facility. In addition to opportunities with the steel industry, individuals may work in chemical, power generating, and fabricating industries.
Job Titles: Electro-Mechanic, Electro-Mechanical Technician, EM Tech, Enginerring Technician, Mechanical Technician, Laboratory Technician, Product Test Specialist, Test Technician
Wage and Employment Trends:
- Salary range: $30,00 to $65,000 Annual (2015)
- 3,700 Projected Job Openings between 2014-2024 (Onet, 2017)
CIP Code: 150406