Major Code: 260
The Patient Care Technician is a program which prepares a skilled patient care professional to perform basic medical services, help those who are ill or injured, and assist individuals who need help with daily activities. There is a growing need for patient care throughout all segments of the health care industry. Patient care technicians work under the supervision of a provider and have direct patient contact as a member of the health care team. Employment opportunities may include assisted living facilities, Urgent Care Clinics, Community Health Agencies, Home Health Services, Hospitals, Laboratories, Long-term Care Facilities, Medical Centers, Nursing Homes, Physical Therapy Departments, Physician Offices, and Rehabilitation Centers. Students learn from instructors who work in the health care field and understand what it takes to provide top quality health care. Patient care students learn skills in a medical lab on campus which replicates the medical care environment. Students will complete an extensive preceptor externship in a health care facility under the indirect supervision of faculty. The Program has an advisory board of health care professionals that guide’s curriculum so the students learn the latest skills health care companies expect of graduates.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, upon completion of this program, graduates will:
- Be eligible to graduate with a Certificate of Applied Science (CAS) in Patient Care Technician.
- Be eligible to sit for Patient Care Technician certification through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
- Be eligible to sit for separate Home Care Worker Exam.
- Be Basic Life Support (BLS) certified (provided within the course).
- Be eligible to obtain employment at a Health Care Facility or transfer/matriculate to an Associate or Bachelor Degree Program in Health Care.
Job Titles: Patient Care Technician (PCT), Direct Care Worker, Phlebotomist, EKG Technician
Wage and Employment Trends:
- $25,710 Annual (2015)
- 1,492,000 Employees (2014)
- Much Faster than Average Projected Growth (14% or higher between 2017-2024)
- National Certification Options: Patient Care Technician, Phlebotomist, EKG Technician
CIP Code: 513902