Major Code: 323
This program is designed to provide a certificate of achievement in food preparation with one year of training. It emphasizes basic techniques of food preparation. Hands-on experience in the laboratory classes is included to build a foundation of basic cooking skills and commercial food sanitation skills. Upon completion of the program students are prepared to obtain positions as prep cooks and other entry level kitchen positions in restaurants, fast food establishments, hotels and other food service operations. The certificate program prepares students for a seamless transition to the Culinary Arts, Associate in Applied Science program.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, upon completion the student should be able to:
- Use and care for equipment normally found in the culinary kitchen.
- Develop an understanding of basic principles of sanitation and safety and ability to apply the sanitation principles of food preparation.
- Develop skills in knife, tool and equipment handling and ability to apply skills in food preparation.
- Develop skills in producing a variety of cold food products.
- Demonstrate expertise in preparation of breakfast, lunch and dinner items using ingredients that are wholesome, sanitary and nutritious.
- Demonstrate baking principles to prepare and serve pastries and sweets.
- Work with people with respect to their many diversities.
- Select and prepare meat, seafood and poultry items for service; choose accompaniments for each dish emphasizing different cultures.
The program course requirements are presented in sequence. Part-time students and others who cannot follow this sequence should check course descriptions in the catalog to determine prerequisites and, in addition, should consult their academic advisor regarding the order in which they take courses.
Uniforms are required for CART 131 , CART 145 , CART 151 , and CART 159 .
Job Titles: Prep cook and other entry-level kitchen positions in restaurants, fast food establishments, hotels and other food-service operations.
Wage and Employment Trends:
- $23,900 Average Annual Salary (2020) in WV
- $11.49 average per hour in WV
- 1180 Projected job openings between in WV (2018-2028)
- 237,200 Projected job openings in the US (2019-2029)
Wage and employment trends based on Department of Labor and ONET statistics.
CIP Code: 120505