Major Code: 120
This option is designed to meet the needs of modern business and industry for accounting professionals. The curriculum will help students develop habits of critical, logical thinking while they learn to record, report and interpret data using basic accounting as well as electronic procedures. Computerized software and accounting applications will be emphasized.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate mastery of the accounting cycle.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze financial statements and evaluate the performance of a company.
- Demonstrate knowledge of communication, organizational, mathematical and managerial skills.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of application software used in the field of accounting.
Graduates of this program can expect to obtain employment in positions such as accounts receivable, accounts payable, accounting clerk, payroll clerk, billing manager, and customer service representatives.
Graduates can expect to be employed in medical and banking facilities, industrial and manufacturing plants, communication businesses, and various small businesses.
Students who are planning to transfer to a four-year institution to obtain a bachelor’s degree in Accounting should take the Business Administration Transfer Option, A.S. degree, the Accounting/Business Administration Transfer Option to Franciscan University 2+2 A.S. degree, or the Business Administration Transfer Option to WLU 2+2 A.S. degree, or the Business Administration, Pre-Business Studies 2+2 to WVU, A.A.S. degree. Students should contact an advisor from the transfer institution as soon as possible regarding transferability of specific courses.
Job Titles: Accounting Assistant, Accounting Clerk, Accounts Payable Clerk, Accounts Payable Specialist, Accounts Receivable Clerk
Wage and Employment Trends:
- Median $30.400 (Onet, 2017)
- Projected Job Openings 46,000 (Onet, 2017)
CIP Code: 520101