This is a cooperative agreement between WVNCC and Murray Energy Corporation. To be enrolled in the course of study the applicant must be accepted by both WVNCC and Murray Energy. If accepted, the student will be required to work a specified number of hours as a paid intern at a Murray Energy Corporation facility. The successful completion will prepare students for a salaried position in the underground maintenance environment. The curriculum covers a comprehensive technical review of mining equipment specific to longwall mining and the support thereof. This includes electrical and hydraulic principles and practices common in an underground mining environment, courses on basic welding, programmable logic controllers, and general education courses (writing, psychology and sociology). Coursework includes preparation for federal and state (Ohio and West Virginia) surface and underground electrical certification examinations. Safety rules and regulations, (MSHA and OSHA), as well as good safety practices are emphasized throughout. Upon successful completion of the program, the students may be hired as a full time Murray Energy employee.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Comply with Murray Energy Corporation’s safety policies, practices, and procedures.
- Comply with all state and federal underground/surface mining regulations.
- Troubleshoot, repair, replace, and install underground mine specific electrical systems.
- Trouble, repair, replace, and install underground mine specific hydraulic systems.
- Understand mechnical theories and apply them to their job.
- Read and analyze prints, schematic diagrams, circuit diagrams, and ladder diagrams.
- Have gained a firm understanding of the technical make up of the underground long wall mining equipment.
- Effectively operate and manage in a professional industrial environment.
- Proficiently communicate with supervisors, co-workers, external support functions and employees.
- Demonstrate skills, professional values, and ethics necessary to function in an underground mine management position.