This option is designed for students who desire to explore the various opportunities available in business. The curriculum will provide a solid general business education and the necessary skills for graduates to enter the work force.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the accounting cycle.
- Demonstrate an ability to market and promote products.
- Demonstrate knowledge of communication, organizational, mathematical and managerial skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the global economy and its impact on business management.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of application software used in the field of business.
Graduates of this program can expect to obtain employment in positions such as supervisors, accounts adjustor, operations manager, assistant managers, and customer service representatives.
Graduates can expect to be employed in government agencies, health care facilities, industrial and manufacturing plants, human resource departments, and entrepreneurs. According to the U.S. Labor Department, jobs in the business area rank in the top 10 for the next millennium.
Students who are planning to transfer to a four-year institution to obtain a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration should take one of the following: the Business Administration Transfer Option, A.S. degree, the Business Administration Transfer Option to Franciscan University 2+2 degree, the Business Administration 2+2 to WLU, A.S. degree, the Business Administration Transfer Option to West Virginia State University 2+2 A.S. degree, or the Business Administration, Pre-Business Studies 2+2 to WVU, A.A.S. degree. Students should contact an advisor from the transfer institution as soon as possible regarding transferability of specific courses.
Job Titles: Supervisor, Account Adjuster, Operations Manager, Assistant Manager, Customer Service Representative, and Retail Manager
Wage and Employment Trends:
- $31,720 Annual (2015)
- 2,582,000 Employees (2014)
- Faster Than Average Projected Growth (9% to 13% between 2014-2024)
- 888,700 Projected Job Openings between 2014-2024
CIP: 52.0101 NCES CIP Title Associated with Major: Business/Commerce, General.