2020-2021 College Catalog
Small Business Management, Business Career Studies, C.A.S.
Major Code: 158
This program is designed to prepare students to make sound management decisions concerning the operation of a small business. A basic background is provided in the following areas: accounting, computers and information technology, business law, marketing, business communications, and management.
This certificate program may be transferred to a two year program leading to an Associate in Applied Science degree.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements of the accounting cycle and general Financial statements.
- Demonstrate an ability to market and promote products.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the global economy and its impact on and opportunity for small business.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of application software used in the field of small business.
Graduates can expect to be employed in retail establishments, sole proprietorships, and food and hospitality industries.
Statistically, individuals with entrepreneurial skills constitute one of the fastest growing fields of employment.
Job Titles: Entrepreneurs, Assistant Managers, Front line shift supervisors, Store managers.
Wage and Employment Trends:
- According to the American Community Survey by the US Census Bureau, the median income for individuals who were self-employed at their own incorporated business in WV was $42,450 in 2014; for those self-employed at their own unincorporated firms, it was $18,785.
CIP Code: 520701