Major Code: 161
NOTE: This program has specific entrance requirements, application, and standards of progress requirements. See the Admissions /Registration and Policies sections for additional information. The program course requirements are presented in sequence. Part-time students and others who cannot follow this sequence should check course descriptions in the catalog to determine prerequisites and, in addition, should consult their academic advisor regarding the order in which they take courses.
Students applying to the Clinical Medical Assistant program, must have successfully completed the Medical Assisting: Administrative Medical Assistant Certificate program.
Students selected for admission to the Clinical Medical Assistant Program will be trained in clinical procedures for entry-level employment in medical ambulatory care settings. Graduates are prepared for employment as “competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and effective (behavior) learning domains” as required in AAMA/CAAHEP accreditation standards. Campus lab preparatory experiences and a 160-hour supervised and unpaid practicum afford students the opportunity for observation and hands-on training in outpatient medical procedures within the scope of practice of the Medical Assistant.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Graduates will be prepared as entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains through the administrative, clinical and general competencies as required by MAERB and taught by qualified faculty.
- Graduates will be prepared as multi-skilled medical assistants qualified to provide administrative services and clinical patient care while displaying professionalism during their interactions with the college community and practicum opportunities.
- Graduates will be prepared to complete required competencies and national certifications to become Certified Medical Assistants.
- Graduates will demonstrate general education outcomes specific to the program while displaying general abilities in communication, critical thinking, and problem solving as utilized in the medical assisting profession.
Occupations available for students completing program requirements include Certified Medical Assistant positions primarily in ambulatory care settings. According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook, employment of medical assistants is projected to grow 23 percent from 2014-2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. Medical Assisting is projected to be one of the fastest growing occupations due to the increasing numbers of group practices, clinics, and other health care facilities, especially for multi-skilled medical assistants trained in both administrative and clinical duties.
The WVNCC Medical Assisting: Clinical Medical Assistant, A.A.S Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB). Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, 25400 US Highway 19N., Suite 158, Clearwater, FL 33763, 727-210-2350 www.caahep.org. Graduates of this program can test for the Clinical Medical Assistant credential from the American Association of Assistants (CMA/AAMA).
Important information: If you have ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor for any reason, State or National credentialing boards, licensing board and agencies which require criminal background checks on potential employees and students may deny you employment or placement in certain settings, even if you have completed all academic requirements. If you have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, please contact the appropriate Health Science Program Director.
Job Titles: Clinical Medical Assistant, Certified Clinical Medical Assistant
Wage and Employment Trends:
- Annual Range Regionally $22,000 to $26,000 (Onet, 2017)
- Projected job growth nationally 262,100 (Onet, 2017)
- Certification Options: Clinical Medical Assistant (CMA) through American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) or Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) through National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
CIP Code: 510801