Major Code: 163
Students selecting the Administrative Medical Assistant, CAS option will be provided training in administrative medical office procedures. Students successfully completing the program can test for the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant credential from the National Healthcareer Association (CMAA-NHA) and are eligible to apply for admission to the Clinical Medical Assistant Associate in Applied Science Degree Program at WVNCC.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Identify and differentiate the roles of the various members of the health care team.
- Differentiate administrative competencies and clinical competencies for the medical assistant post patient demographic and clinical information to the electronic health record.
- Produce medical insurance claims with an appropriate diagnostic and procedural coding according to the policies of private, state, federal and Workers’ Compensation agencies.
- Demonstrate medical financial management skills, including, patient data entry, billing, insurance submission and standard financial accounting reports.
- Comprehend legal and ethical issues related to a career as a member of the health care team.
- Demonstrate knowledge of compliance related to HIPAA and OSHA Standards.
- Demonstrate an understanding of professionalism in the medical office setting.
- Demonstrate therapeutic communication techniques.
Occupations available for students completing program requirements include the following: medical office receptionist, medical office assistant, administrative medical assistant, and Certified Medical Administrative Assistant, and hospital admissions clerk. Graduates of this program can expect to obtain entry-level employment primarily in ambulatory care settings. According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook, employment of administrative medical office employees is projected to grow 10 percent from 2014 to 2024.
Important information: If you have ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor for any reason, State or National credentialing boards, licensing board, and agencies which require criminal background checks on potential employees and students may deny you employment or placement in certain settings, even if you have completed all academic requirements. If you have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, please contact the appropriate Health Science Program Director.
Job Titles: Certified Medical Administrative Administrative Assistant (CMAA), Medical Office Assistant, Administrative Medical Assistant
Wage and Employment Trends:
- Annual Range Regionally $19,950 to $22,130 (Onet, 2017)
- 262,100 Projected National Growth Nationally (Onet, 2017)
- Certification Option: Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) through National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
CIP Code: 510710