Transfer to Bethany College
Major Code: 131
Note: This articulation transfer agreement allows a student to complete an associate degree at WVNCC and finish their Bachelor’s degree at Bethany College. Individual student factors, part-time or full-tome status, scheduling and availability of courses, or other factors may affect the time it will take a particular student to complete all requirements.
The articulation agreements contain very specific requirements which have been agreed upon and approved by the administration and faculty at both institutions. Because of this, petitions for course substitutions will not usually be considered or approved to allow a student to graduate under an articulation agreement program.
Students completing this option will receive an Associate in Arts degree from West Virginia Northern. Upon completing the remaining specified credit hours at Bethany College (which may require only three additional semesters if taken in sequence and as a full-time student), they will receive a Bachelor in Social Work (B.S.W.) Degree. Although 61 credit hours are required for the Associate degree, Bethany recommends students take additional courses (up to 76-78 credit hours). In addition to the WVNCC courses, applicants for admission to Bethany’s social work program must meet the following criteria:
- Submit a transcript to Bethany College verifying an overall grade point average of 2.0.*
- Obtain Bethany College’s Social Work Student Handbook and additional forms and instruction for the following criteria:
- Submit at least one recommendation form by a current or past faculty member or employer.
- Complete and submit a criminal background check.
- Complete and submit a written personal statement entitled, “Why I want to be a Social Worker.”
- Provide proof of completion of a 30-hour service learning experience (a WVNCC internship or paid or volunteer work experience in an appropriate human services setting will fulfill this requirement).
- Complete and submit an application to the Executive Assistant for the Social Work Program at Bethany College.
- Schedule and complete an interview with the Social Work Program Director at Bethany College.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, students successfully completing and receiving and A.A. degree under the articulation agreement with Bethany College’s School of Social Work should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history of the “human services/social work” profession and the evolution of its various delivery systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic concepts, theories, and strategies used in social work/ human services and apply basic skills related to general education curriculum requirements for the Social Work A.A. degree.
- Utilize critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate a readiness to enter a bachelor degree program with appropriate commitment to attendance, initiative, organization and interest in the profession.
*Although a cumulative GPA of 2.0 meets requirements for graduation at WVNCC, students who do not meet the GPA (or other special) requirements at the transfer institution for admission to this baccalaureate program may not be admitted to the program until they are able to meet those requirements. Students should consult with an advisor at the transfer institution early in their program to check on this, and other requirements for admission to the baccalaureate program.
Important information: If you have ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor for any reason, State or National credentialing boards, licensing board and agencies, which require criminal background checks on potential employees and students may deny you employment or placement in certain settings, even if you have completed all academic requirements. If you have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, please contact the appropriate Program Director or Division Chair.
CIP Code: 240199
Fall Semester (16 Credits)
Spring Semester (16 Credits)
Fall Semester (15/16 Credits)
Spring Semester (14 Credits)
Total Credits (61-62)
* Choose from: MATH 108 or MATH 210 .
** Choose from: HIST 100 , HIST 101 , HIST 110 , or HIST 111
*** Choose from: ENG 200 , ENG 201 , ENG 210 , ENG 211 , ENG 215, ENG 225 , or ENG 226
+++ Bethany College requires a “C” or better in these courses and reserves the right to evaluate whether these WVNCC courses meet all outcomes for equivalent courses in a major.
NOTE: Students who transfer to Bethany with an additional 18 credits (76-78 total credits ) may finish the Social Work Program in as little as three (3) semesters under the Transfer Incentive Plan (TIP), (which is available only for commuting students), which may include a reduction in tuition and fees at Bethany College. Recommended courses for additional transfer credits include, but are not limited to: CRJ 110 , CRJ 201 , CRJ 220 , CRJ 225 , HS 150 , and SOC 276 .
IMPORTANT GRADUATION INFORMATION: ORNT 090 is a graduation requirement. See your advisor to determine if you have met this requirement.