Transfer to West Virginia University
Major Code: 116
Note: The “2+2” term is used to refer to a transfer agreement through which a student completes an Associate degree at WVNCC and finishes a Bachelor’s degree at another institution. Because of individual student factors, part-time or full-time status, need for developmental education coursework, scheduling and availability of courses, or other factors, all students may not be able to complete this degree in two (Associate’s) or four (Bachelor’s) years. The term “2+2” does not imply a guarantee that a student will be able to complete all requirements in four years.
Students completing this option will receive an Associate in Arts degree from West Virginia Northern. Upon completing the specified 61-66 credit hours at West Virginia University, they will receive a Bachelor in Social Work (B.S.W.) Degree.
Fifty-seven to fifty-nine hours (depending on what math courses are taken) of the 63-67 credit hours will transfer as equivalent courses.
In addition to the WVNCC courses, applicants for admission to WVU need to have an overall grade point average of 2.5, 100 hours of documented volunteer experience, a written personal statement and two letters of reference. Qualifying students will compete with other WVU students and transfers for 60 slots.*
Students successfully completing and receiving an A.A. degree under the 2+2 agreement with West Virginia University’s School of Social Work should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history of the “human services/social work” profession and the evolution of its various delivery systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic concepts, theories, and strategies used in social work/human services.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major theories of psychology and human development.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the issues related to the ethical standards of the social work/human services professions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the issues related to the needs and problems of different client populations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how social, cultural, family, and individual factors influence needs and affect the delivery of social work/human services.
- Demonstrate adequate knowledge and skills related to general education curriculum requirements for the 2+2 Social Work A.A. degree.
- Apply knowledge and basic skills related to therapeutic communication and relationships in social work.
- Utilize critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate a readiness to enter a bachelor degree program with appropriate commitment to attendance, initiative, organization and interest in the profession.
*Although a cumulative GPA of 2.0 meets requirements for graduation at WVNCC, students who do not meet the GPA (or other special) requirements at the transfer institution for admission to this baccalaureate program may not be admitted to the program until they are able to meet those requirements. Students should consult with an advisor at the transfer institution early in their program to check on this, and other requirements for admission to the baccalaureate program.
Important information: If you have ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor for any reason, State or National credentialing boards, licensing board and agencies, which require criminal background checks on potential employees and students may deny you employment or placement in certain settings, even if you have completed all academic requirements. If you have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, please contact the appropriate Program Director or Division Chair.
CIP Code: 240101
Fall Semester (14 Credits)
Spring Semester (17 Credits)
Fall Semester (16 Credits)
Spring Semester (13 Credits)
Total Credits (60-62)
** Choose from: BIO 110 , CHEM 108 , CHEM 109 , PHYS 104 or PHYS 105 .
*** Choose from: ART 150 , ENG 200 , ENG 201 , ENG 210 , ENG 211 , MUS 105 or PHIL 200 . WVU requires 12 semester hours of humanities from at least 3 different disciplines with two from the same discipline.
+ Choose from: HIST 100 , HIST 101 , HIST 110 , or HIST 111 .
++ Choose from: HPE 100 , HPE 101 , HPE 105 , or HPE 110 .
+++ WVU requires a “C” or better.
IMPORTANT GRADUATION INFORMATION: ORNT 090 is a graduation requirement. See your advisor to determine if you have met this requirement.
Refer to General Education Core Requirements for the Associate in Arts Program listed below for acceptable core requirements.
General Education Core Requirements