This is a program designed to provide the technical knowledge and skills required of persons employed in the air conditioning, heating and refrigeration businesses and industries. Students completing the program will be able to find employment in the areas of residential, commercial, and industrial air conditioning, heating and refrigeration installation, maintenance and service. Planned lectures and laboratory experiences parallel those activities performed by service technicians in the field and include installing and checking equipment, servicing and replacing major and minor components and troubleshooting and analysis of individual units and complete systems. Field trips to businesses and industries are an integral part of the program.
This program will give students a thorough and in-depth understanding of the technology as well as prepare them to make rapid transition into gainful employment.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Test pressures and temperatures ratings in a heating, air conditioning, or refrigeration system to identify if the system is performing properly.
- Install heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment properly.
- Understand codes and regulations pertaining to the HVACR industry.
- Utilize troubleshooting techniques and implement appropriate follow-up procedures, and adjust and replace correct parts and components.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic principles of heating, air conditioning, ventilation, and refrigeration and their applications.
Students will be prepared for current national and state certifications in the industry. WVNCC serves as a testing center for many of these certifications.
Job Opportunities: Graduates from this program can expect to obtain entry level employment in positions such as refrigeration and air conditioner installers and service technicians. Future career paths include dispatchers, service and installation managers, parts and equipment sales, building control technicians, facilities technicians and managers, and small business owners. Graduates are employed by refrigeration, air conditioning and heating service and installation contractors, facilities such as hospitals, colleges, and school districts, industrial plants, data centers, supermarkets, convenience stores, and restaurant chains, and trade unions.
Wage and Employment Trends:
- The employment outlook is excellent for this field of study with opportunities locally, regionally, and nationally.