Students selecting the Medical Billing and Coding Specialist, CP program will be provided training in general and career-specific courses including medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, business math, medical insurance, diagnostic and procedural coding, computerized billing, accounts receivable, and reimbursement procedures. Students successfully completing the medical Billing and Coding Specialist Certificate program will test for the Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) credential from the National Healthcareer Association.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate ability to identify both diagnostic and procedural codes.
- Demonstrate the ability to complete insurance claims providing all required information required by specific insurance companies.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply knowledge of accounts receivable processes in both paper version and computerized version.
- Complete work in the computerized billing system and create work product.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the application of legal and ethical standards to all aspects of the medical office.
- Demonstrate knowledge of application of HIPAA to all aspects of the medical office.
- Demonstrate knowledge of anatomy & physiology and medical terminology to medical billing and coding procedures;
Graduates of this program can expect to obtain entry-level employment primarily in private physician practices and/or medical clinics. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment outlook for medical coders/billings is projected to grow faster than average through 2024. National Job openings of 164,000 are expected by 2024. Physicians in private practice, as well as health care organizations, will have increasing need for qualified Medical Billing and Coding Specialists.
Job Titles: Billing Coordinator, Medical Office Insurance Coding Specialist, Physician Office Coding Specialist, Medical Office Billing and Coding Specialist
Wage and Employment Trends:
- Annual Range Regionally $20,000 to $26,000 (Onet, 2017)
- 262,100 Projected National Job Growth Nationally (Onet, 2017)
- 164,000 National job openings expected by 2024
- Certification Option: Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS) from National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
CIP: 51.0713 NCES CIP Title Associated with Major: Medical Insurance Coding Specialist/Coder.