NOTE: This program has specific entrance requirements, application, and standards of progress requirements. See the Admissions /Registration and Policies sections for additional information. The program course requirements are presented in sequence. Part-time students and others who cannot follow this sequence should check course descriptions in the catalog to determine prerequisites and, in addition, should consult their academic advisor regarding the order in which they take courses.
Surgical Technologists are experts in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic techniques. That, combined with knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies, helps physicians perform invasive procedures. They provide surgical care under medical supervision, ensure operating rooms are safe, that equipment functions properly and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety.
The laboratory portions of the program, which reinforce concepts learned in class, are held in our con-campus lab and in operating suites at area hospitals. Students have clinical experiences in hospitals and actively participate on operating room teams during surgery while clinical preceptors oversee their work.
In addition to General Education Outcomes, upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Apply principles of asepsis and sterile technique.
- Provide safe care to the surgical patient.
- Successfully complete the National Certification Examination for Surgical Technologists.
- Demonstrate general education skills relevant to the program.
Important information: Additional costs are associated with this program such as physicals, vaccinations, titers, drug screening and background checks. If you have ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor for any reason, you may be denied employment in certain settings, even if you have completed all academic requirements. If you have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, please contact the Program Director.
Wage and Employment Trends:
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, surgical technologists in West Virginia earn on an average $37,520 per year.
- West Virginia has one of the highest concentrations of surgical technologists in the country.