2018-2019 College Catalog 
    Sep 21, 2019  
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Occupational Development, A.A.S.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Programs A-Z

Northern recognizes training from approved U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Apprenticeship Training (BAT) programs towards an associate degree. Required courses of study for eligible programs are determined by agreements between the College and the apprenticeship program. Individuals must be enrolled in or have completed the approved apprenticeship program in order to be eligible to enroll in this program.

Those BAT apprenticeship programs which are currently available for the occupational development program are:

  • Building and Construction Trades with the Upper Ohio Valley Building and Construction Trades Council AFL-CIO.
  • Child Development Specialist with Northern Panhandle Apprenticeship Council.
  • Firefighters with Wheeling Fire Department Joint Apprenticeship Committee.
  • Plumbers and Steamfitters with Wheeling Plumbers and Steamfitters Joint Apprenticeship Committee.

Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:

  • Effectively use both written and verbal communication skills in the workplace.
  • Demonstrate knowledge of interpersonal skills and their application in the workplace.
  • Apply principles of mathematics and science to contemporary issues in society and in the workplace.
  • Demonstrate an understanding of technical skills required in the specific occupational area through the successful completion of an approved apprenticeship training program.

There are three components to the program:

  1. General education courses are offered by the College.
  2. Technical specialty courses, including classroom instruction required by the specific apprenticeship program, which may be supplemented by college courses in some cases.
  3. On-the-job training is part of the apprenticeship program and is awarded credit under agreements negotiated by the partners.

Specific agreements, which list course requirements for each component are available from the College Counselors or the Vice President of Economic and Workforce Development.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Programs A-Z